Sunday, July 5, 2009

Way to freak me out...

So, I almost killed my husband today, and not in the Haha he's driving me crazy kind of way. This afternoon I made Eddie a snack and we sat down to watch some Dick Van Dyke. I made him a PB&J, a cereal bar and a soda and we watched a good 3 episodes of our oldie but goodie sitcom.
Afterward we were walking toward our room and Eddie says to me, "My neck hurts". So I check it out and he had a breakout of hives on his neck. This is not all that uncommon for him because he has a good many allergies, and we have a good many pets. So he went to take a shower to calm the hives down and when he got out I put some aloe on his neck. After a few more minutes he started to complain that his stomach hurt and that he was dizzy.
This concerned me. So we tried to figure out what could've brought on the hives. We couldn't come up with anything. Nothing was new in our surroundings. He didn't eat anything out of the ordinary...but the peanut butter was a new brand so I went to check the ingredients on the list. Nope, nothing odd. So I checked EVERYTHING. The Jelly, the bread, the soda, the cereal bars.....
Sure enough, way down at the bottom of the ingredient list for the cereal bars, there it was: HONEY
For those who don't know, my husband has a VERY severe honey allergy. I am avidly careful that we never have honey or honey products in the house. 1: Because of Eddie and 2: Because there is about an 85% likelyhood that the boys either have or will develop this same allergy at some point.
Luckily there was so little honey in these bars Eddie is doing OK and his reaction is settling down, but I mean like 1/4 teaspoon of honey and my husband is hospital-bound.

So yeah....I slipped up and that FREAKS me out. In 11 years I have never let honey get past me and to my husband....I guess I have to re-evaluate my system for keeping it away from my house.

1 comment: